We believe that bullying and harassment are never OK. 

Bullying: In most cases, bullying is unacceptable behaviour, usually repeated over time, which causes intimidation, fear or humiliation and that involves a real or perceived power imbalance (power imbalances could be about social or group power, power due to role, physical strength, access to embarrassing information). 

Harassment: Harassment is when someone intentionally or unintentionally violates a person’s dignity or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment, which interferes with an individual’s learning, working or social environment. Some forms of harassment are considered a hate crime. A hate incident or crime is any act of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular protected characteristic. 

Bullying and harassment are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Dignity at Work and Study Policy


Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone). 

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are fearful or in danger you can call security on 02380 593311. 

What is bullying and harassment? It might be useful to think about what bullying and harassment is and how some of the behaviours are described. 


Talk to a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 

Text support.  If you feel you need to talk to someone immediately you can contact Shout, a free 24/7 text service for anyone struggling to cope. Text 'SHOUT' to 85258. 

Harassment Contacts are volunteers from a variety of roles on campus who can provide confidential advice on what you can do in response to bullying and harassment. Contacting them does not begin any formal procedure and does not commit you to any action. They provide informal, personal support and advice based on experience and knowledge of the options available. 

Request to speak with an advisor on Report and Support. An advisor can: talk through the University's procedures, inform you on how to make a complaint and let you know what support is available, in confidence. 


Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 

University policy. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you will need to follow. 

Report the incident anonymously. You can call Crime Stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form.

Get support 

Support can be accessed 24/7 via The Student Hub. You can call The Student Hub team on +44(0)23 80599 599 and select option two for wellbeing or if you would prefer, email studenthub@soton.ac.uk

The SUSU Advice Centre is a free, confidential, impartial service where an advisor can talk through the procedure, how to complain, what options are available and support you through the process. This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened