If you have experienced or are experiencing sexual misconduct, it is important to remember it is not your fault and you're not alone. Your safety and wellbeing are the most important things and you can access specialist support, if and whenever you feel ready.

Sexual misconduct is any conduct that is sexual, unwanted and causes distress, or that otherwise constitutes harassment, bullying or victimisation. This includes sexual violence such as rape and sexual assault and sexual harassment.
Sexual misconduct is contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Dignity at Work and Study Policy


Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone) and the University’s Security Team (if you are on campus).  

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are fearful or in danger you can call security on 02380 593311. 


  • Talk to a friend Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Talk to a professional Talking your experience through with a professional can increase your insight and empower you to know what options and support you have available to you. 


Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 

University policy. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you will need to follow. 

Reporting to the police. You can report to the police on the phone, in person or using an online form. If you are thinking of reporting sexual misconduct or domestic violence to the police, here is a useful Rights of Women guide to understand the process of criminal investigation. 

Report the incident anonymously. You can call Crime Stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form. 

Get support 

Remember you are not alone, there are always people here to support you.
You can find more information on our "What support is available?support page.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened