What is a bystander?
What is an active bystander?
An active bystander's decision-making process
- Before I take action:
- Am I aware there is a problem or risky situation?
- Do I recognise someone needs help?
- Do I see others and myself as part of the solution?
- During the situation:
- How can I keep myself safe?
- What are my available options?
- Are there others I may call upon for help?
- What are the aids/barriers to taking action?
- Decision to take action:
- When to act?
- What intervention strategy can I use?
- Direct: Directly intervene
- Distract: Distract either party
- Delegate: Get help from others=
- Delay: Check in after
It is always important to think of your own safety. It is important to remember that the only person ultimately responsible for the incident is the perpetrator themselves.